This is a previous issue that has been re-worked with Nvu

  December 17,1912    Ceased Publication Thursday February 1, 1951

Book 1 Volume 11


Saturday,  January 31, 2004 7:29 AM 14 deg at LVIA and 9.9 in the bus stop.
    It is the end of the month and nearly the beginning of a new one. For me the only thing good about February is it is a short month. One month closer to spring. It seems these days as though I am using the snow blower almost as often as I did the lawnmower in summer. Geez!!
    This morning my blood glucose was 130 and the weight 206. <8:26 AM> I was out and watched the sun arrive over the mountain. It was a lovely sight. I am already making plans for how to fix the place up there for summer. Hey, the days are getting longer, hope springs eternal!!
I just got this from Henry Schwartz. It should even make George Ashman groan!!!
Subject: Bell Ringer

After Quasimodo's death, the bishop of the Cathedral of Notre
Dame sent word  through the streets of Paris that a new bell ringer was needed.
The bishop decided that he would conduct the interviews
personally and went up into the belfry to begin the screening process.

After observing several applicants demonstrate their skills, he
had decided to call it a day when an armless man approached him and
announced that he was there to apply for the bell ringer's job.
The bishop was incredulous. "You have no arms!"

"No matter,"said the man. "Observe!" And he began striking the
bells with his face, producing a beautiful melody on the carillon.

The bishop listened in astonishment; convinced he had finally
found a replacement for Quasimodo.

But suddenly, rushing forward to strike a bell, the armless man
tripped and plunged headlong out of the belfry window to his
death in the street below.

The stunned bishop rushed to his side. When he reached the
street, a crowd had gathered around the fallen figure, drawn by the
beautiful music they had heard only moments before.
As they silently parted to let the bishop through, one of them
asked, "Bishop, who was this man?"

"I don't know his name," the bishop sadly replied,....... "but his face rings a bell"
The following day, despite the sadness that weighed heavily on
his heart due to the unfortunate death of the armless
campanologist, the bishop continued his interviews for the bell ringer of Notre Dame.
The first man to approach him said, "Your Excellency, I am the
brother of the poor armless wretch that fell to his death from
this very belfry yesterday. I pray that you honour his life by allowing
me to replace him in this duty."

The bishop agreed to give the man an audition, and, as the
armless man's brother stooped, picked up a mallet and struck the bells
as beautifully as his brother. But as he finished, he groaned,
clutched at his chest, twirled around and died on the spot.

Two monks, hearing the bishop's cries of grief at this second
tragedy, rushed up the stairs to his side.

"What has happened? Who is this man?" the first monk asked breathlessly.
"I don't know his name," sighed the distraught bishop, but..."
This morning we went up to Giant to get some more strawberries. The last ones we allowed to set on the windowsill for a day or two. Golly, but the entire house smelled like strawberries. We have done the same with these new ones and the place smells wonderful.
           Today, we haven’t done much of anything. It is too cold for a walk so we are staying inside today. I did take my shower this afternoon.
    Tonight for supper we had some of the leftover ham and bean soup. It has been in out outdoor fridge for several days,. The longer it sets, the better it gets. It was good. Then for dessert, we had some vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries on it. A cup of fresh ground 8 o’clock coffee finished it all off.
    Last Friday when I went to the “Iron Works”, I took along my camera and had Jason, the instructor, and man in charge, take a few pictures of me on the machines. I had to prove that I actually do use them. Here are a few shots of that adventure.

Above are the Tummy Machine and the triceps machine

 The back machine and the triceps machine

 The biceps machine and a man doing leg exercises

The treadmill
When I use the treadmill, as can be seen, I gradually increase the steepness of the platform and still maintain a modest speed. This works better for me than running like Hell to raise my heart rate. I usually go for about a half a mile. Then, it is on to the specialized equipment. All my exercises are planned with swimming in mind to strengthen those muscles that I don’t use all winter. In the past it certainly has worked well for me, even if I don’t really enjoy doing it.

Sunday, February 01, 2004 7:27 AM 18deg at LVIA and 12.6 in the bus stop
    This morning the blood sugar is 129 and weight 206. It is a beautiful day this morning. I was out this morning before the sun arrived over the mountain and it was cold, but not blustery.
    This morning I went for a walk. I went up to Doc Cyr’s house and took a few pictures. As I approached, I could hear the house softly calling, “Howard where are you?”

In addition, I took a picture of Howard’s church steps handiwork covered with snow.

    I am hopeful that the problems with AOL and those not being able to open my pictures, may be solved. I got an e-mil from a friend of Walter Guyer who seemingly has solved this problem.
“Bob & Walter (and for forwarding to any other AOL users) - Following the suggestions in one of your recent communiques, I tried to download the Microsoft Internet Explorer. I probably did, but then couldn't locate it on my computer !
However, during the process, they (Microsoft) said they could send a CD. (It was "free", but there was $5. or $6. shipping and handling) which was fine with me.
In short - I used their disk. Everything was "user friendly". That translates to "automatic". One of the programs it put on my computer was the one needed to handle vector graphics (I don't understand the technology, but when AOL formerly said I'd need it and then asked whether I wanted to download it and I would say "yes", I immediately would get a message that said "sorry, but that can't be downloaded - at this time" !)
Anyhoo - I can now download and print your articles, including the photos, and without minimizing AOL. I plan to continue to experiment, in order to learn about minimizing AOL and using the standalone browser, but thought I'd bring you up to date on my situation. Thanks for listening. – Charles”
It seems to me as though this might also solve the problem with those of you who may be using Juno. The easiest way to do it is as Charles suggested, however it can readily be downloaded from this site. The Microsoft Explorer can be found at :
Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest version of Internet Explorer and includes a full installation of the Web browser.
When you download it, you will be asked where you want to save it If you tell it to download and save it to the desktop, you will avoid Charles problem of finding it. There it can readily be found and installed. If you have a dial up modem, this can take awhile it is a big file. However, by doing this you will be able to avoid the proprietary browsers that both AOL and Juno supply. It should help you view a lot of other stuff on the Internet, not just my stuff.
This afternoon I brought all the Christmas cookies inside the house took them out of their containers put them into plastic vacuum seal bags, sealed them, and put them back into the storage box and then back out on the porch. At least they will not get stale nearly as fast.
This afternoon I changed my bedding in anticipation of tomorrow’s “dreaded sheet day.” At least that is done.
Tonight for supper, we had something we hadn’t had since last summer. We had a sirloin steak with hot bread and a salad. We did not prepare the whole thing. It was very good. We had it on the Forman grill. We were both too full for dessert. Coffee was all we could handle.

Monday, February 02, 2004 7:32 AM 7 deg at LVIA and 9.4 in the bus stop
    Sheez, the weight is 208 and the blood glucose is 151. That is not at all great. Moral, go easy on steak and hot bread. <Sigh>
    I just got this from neighbor Mike. It says it all,
If AOL Made A Car
 The AOL car would have a TOP speed of 40 MPH yet have a 200 MPH speedometer.
 The AOL car would come equipped with a NEW and fantastic 8-Track tape player.
 The car would often refuse to start and owners would just expect this and try again later.
 The windshield would have an extra dark tint to protect the driver from seeing better cars.
 AOL would sell the same model car year after year and claim it's the NEW model.
 Every now and then the brakes on the AOL car would just "lock-up" for no apparent reason.
 The AOL car would have a very plain body style but would have lots'a pretty colors and lights.
 The AOL car would have only one door but it would have 5 extra seats for family members.
 Anyone dissatisfied could return the car but must continue to make payments for 6 months.
 If an AOL car owner received 3 parking tickets AOL would take the car off of them.
 The AOL car would have an AOL Cell phone that can only place calls to other AOL car cell phones.
 AOL would pass a new car law forbidding AOL car owners from driving near other car dealerships.
 AOL car mechanics would have no experience in car repair.
 Younger AOL car drivers would be able to make other peoples AOL cars stall just for fun.
 It would not be possible to upgrade your AOL car stereo.
 AOL cars would be forced to use AOL gas that cost 20% more and gave worse mileage.
 Anytime an AOL car owner saw another AOL car owner he would wonder, M/F/age?
 It would be common for AOL car owners to divorce just to marry another AOL car owner.
 AOL car owners would always claim to be older or younger than they really are.
 AOL cars would come with a steering wheel and AOL would claim no other cars have them.
 Every time you close the door on the AOL car it would say, "Good-Bye."
    In his letter Mr. Seaton said the following: "I can now download and print your articles, including the photos, and without minimizing AOL. I plan to continue to experiment, in order to learn about minimizing AOL and using the standalone browser."
    I would suggest opening AOL as usual. After you know you are on-line, minimize AOL with the small _ in the upper right corner. Then open your new MS Explorer and operate from it. It will be a small blue Icon; with a lower case, e located on the desktop. Use it for your entire web browsing, keeping AOL minimized. It may be necessary to copy and paste my address that came in the Valen e-mail into the address box. This should cure many problems. Then look in Microsoft Explorer browser. When it opens, look at the top of the page and look for tools and down to Internet options. When that opens look on that open page for set present browser as default. Hopefully, that may take the proprietary browser out of the scene.
    <10:26 AM> I just got back from the “Iron Works.” I had a good session. When I first got there all the treadmills were busy, so I tried the stepper. I had to quit that one; it hurt my knees too much. So, I ran a stationary bike until I was able to use an available machine
    I got the heart rate up for the allotted time and then moved on to the other stationary equipment. I used the tummy machine for 100 repetitions. I have been taking Fritz’s advice and use lower weights but do more repetitions. I made my rounds of the machines and then it was time to go home. Queen wanted to go to the store after I got back.
    On the way down, I stopped in at the TN office and spoke for a moment with the staff. Sharon informed me last week that by Monday her cold would be gone. How do you know I asked? I am telling it to leave. So, I asked her if it had indeed left. No, it didn’t listen to me. Ha!!
    Pattie told me that her step Dad would be entering a rehabilitation program. That is great. I saw what they can do for folks at the old “Iron Works” of the Good Shepherd rehab center at 2nd and Franklin when I went there last year. Their work is impressive.
    <12:32> We just got back from a trip to Lehighton. We went to Aldi, Wal-Mart, and Giant. Golly, in Wal-Mart, I met an old friend from the television service days, Verdell Felter. He was the chief technician at my old friends, ACE Electric, the Admiral dealers in downtown Lehighton. Verdel and the Mulligan family were all good friends, and we helped one another when need be. I made many good friends most of whom I haven’t seen in years. I haven’t seen Gene or Eddie Mulligan in a long, long, time. I wonder if they have e -mail addresses. I would love to keep in contact with them. That is why “Dell” was such a welcome sight.
    They used to take me along to the Admiral service schools held at a posh Elysburg Pa, resort. We had a ball. Good food, a few adult beverages, and a meeting with a factory representative for classroom sessions. Sometimes, we actually learned something. I haven’t seen Gene or Eddie for years.

Here he is Verdell, the huckster at the Palmerton Festival

     Dell and I were talking of old times and the difficulty we all had learning how to switch from tubes to transistors. Now with computers, we old timers are all left in the dark. I mentioned that all my years in that business were not worth a damn thing in this computer age. I might as well have been in the buggy whip business. I told him about my grandsons and how it comes easy to them. We both threw up our hands in agreement and disgust. Geez!!  
    Ah, tonight we dined in God’s restaurant. Queen made her spaghetti. As usual, it was wonderful.

Tuesday, February 03, 2004 7:31 AM 25 Deg at LVIA and 25 deg in the bus stop
    It is a lousy looking day this morning. At 7 am, the sky had turned pink in color. It isn’t doing anything yet, but foul weather is predicted for the day. Snow and later ice is expected. <Sigh>
    This morning the blood glucose was 148 and weight 207. Not red-hot readings for the old man.
    I fed Butternut and let him out while the coffee was in the works. After getting my e-mail and starting this day’s page, I decided to sit out on the park bench this morning and while it was damp and chilly it was not precipitating yet, but the radar shows it is close by.
    <9:24 AM> I just got back from a quickie trip to the store. Queen wanted some bananas and a few other things. It was a quick down and back trip. The place was not too busy at all. Everyone is watching out for the weather.
    <10:54>  We are going for a short walk. We will mail a letter and probably walk up to 1st Street and back home. It is starting to snow now. We both want to get out. <11:11> Golly we didn’t go far. We went up to the Post Box and continued almost to 1st and turned back. We walked on solid sleet. Then going back, we had it in the face. However, we both needed to get out. <Later> 3:51 PM it has turned to rain now thank goodness and is raining quite hard but it is melting.
    Tonight for supper we had the last of neighbor Jean’s homemade chicken soup. She makes the best damn soup.

Wednesday, February 04, 2004 7:26 AM 36 deg at LVIA and 32.9 in the bus stop
    My weight this morning was 206 and the blood glucose was 134. That is a bit of an improvement. It looks like a good day on hand this morning. It is icy out side when all that stuff froze overnight. I shall be heading out with my coffee soon. Ha, I stepped out to to go up for my to intended trip to the park bench and discovered that the sidewalks are all a sheet of ice. That should be ending soon, but for now no way.
    One very welcome bit of weather news is that now at 8:10 AM, I now have sunshine here in my face at my computer station as the sun comes up over the mountain. This only happens twice a year, in fall and spring. Ah, this is the spring solstice making its imminent presence known. Wonderful. Already neighbor Mike tells us that it is getting too warm. Ha!!! I keep telling him my days are coming.
    This morning I intend to go to the “Iron Works” for one of my three trips this week.
<10:14 AM> I have been down and back. It was not at all crowded. Our nice neighbor Mrs. Jo Ann Tackas was there as were Mrs. Naab and Joe Lendvay as well as others whom I recognize but not recall their names, Sheez!!! One always meets new folks there. Most are nice people and quite friendly. Jason, the manager, came by and assisted in properly adjusting one of the machines I was using.
    After I finished, I went home and Queen had decided today would be a good day to finish our food shopping. It really didn’t take too long in spite of the late start. A trip to Aldi, and then over to Giant took care of the Lehighton part of the trip. Then, we went to country Harvest and got the rest of the stuff.
Late this afternoon I took the garbage to the alley so that last weeks fate would not befall me. On the way up near the top of the walkway, I nearly fell on my Kazoo on the %@#*@# ice. Winter sucks!!
    For supper this evening we had a salmon filet, a baked potato each, some of Queen’s superb Cole slaw, tomato cottage cheese salad, half of a large blueberry muffin she made yesterday plus some fresh coffee. It was excellent. I will be awaiting the blood glucose reading tomorrow. For whatever reason, salmon always raises it. We shall see.
    Tommy stopped in tonight we all discussed the rotten weather and all the other stuff that has befallen us. He also thinks Queen would enjoy the Iron Works. The things like the treadmill at the Iron Works she should be able to handle. Golly, if we can walk a mile from our house up to 1st Street and down to 5th Street that is probably over a mile, she should be able to use the treadmill at her own speed. She often has to slow me down. Those walks always included hills down and back. There she can walk on the flat. It sounds good to me. I would like to take her on a trial basis and then if she can handle it get her a monthly membership. The sociability that is available there with many of her friends would be a big plus also.

Thursday, February 05, 2004 7:19 AM 21 deg at LVIA and 21.1 in the bus stop
    The blood sugar was 140 and the weight 208. It appears to be a good day today so far, bur I am receiving weather warnings here on the computer from many sources, here as well as in WV so I presume we are in for it again.
    <8:09 AM> I am back from my visit outdoors. I can see the clouds beginning to roll in. Now the sun is weakly trying to shine in my face here at my computer workstation. It is a  welcome sight indeed.

Here is the new day Thursday 2/05/04
    Last evening our son in law Jim Hill phoned and said they would like to visit us and have dinner with us today. They will bring along Lillian Rau, Mary’s former mother in law. That is great. It will be good to see them all once again.
    This morning we had to get a few things downtown; We went to Country Harvest out to Sunoco for gas and home. We were figuring the traveling tomorrow does not sound good. Apparently, we weren’t the only ones.
After lunch Dr Nicholson’s office called and asked me of I could make it over there this afternoon rather than tomorrow morning as scheduled. So I quickly got my shoes on and off I went.  
My blood pressure was down, but I had gained some weight. I am retaining water. That is not too good. I am to elevate my legs while doing this.
After examining me, I ask his frank assessment of my physical shape. His reply of pretty good for a man my age pleased me.
          He also thinks Queen’s use of the treadmill would be excellent for us both, particularly in this cold weather. He also encourages both Queen and me in using computers. He said, as her do I, it is excellent form of mental exercise as well as a marvelous way for seniors to communicate. Therefore, I have not given up on hoping the good doctor discovers all they could see and do with a computer on line. I will bet his kids have them and it would be an excellent way for his wife, Joan, to keep in touch with them all.
Queen had been working at her computer showing them her prowess at spider solitaire. She is damn good at it.

She seems to be having a ball with it. I am delighted.
    It was good to see the folks this afternoon. They brought along a London Broil that we had in the oven’s broiler. That along with baked potatoes and mixes veggies, cranberry sauce, a loaf of fresh Italian bread, and pickles and olives made for an excellent meal. I was too full for dessert.

Friday, February 06, 2004 7:39 AM  28deg at LVIA and 28.4 in the bus stop
    It is sleeting freezing rain with a predicted to be rainy day on hand. At least, this morning is a decent day health wise with the blood glucose at 125 and weight 207.
    Needless to say, Butternut did not venture far from the back door this morning. Even the old man has had an acute attack of good sense and is staying inside the morning. I wanted to take Queen along to the “Iron Works” this morning but the rotten stuff pretty well precludes the whole idea.

Yes, that is freezing rain 2/6/04 with slipping and sliding on this Friday morning 2/6/04


My satellite dish covered in ice
    So far, I have not even attempted to clean off the sidewalks. It is still raining quite hard, I am hoping that a lot of it will melt. So far, the temperature has not cooperated very much with a temperature of 33.6 on the east side of the house. Well, I did go out about 2 pm and used Queen’s QVC shovel. It is the first time it actually worked as I had wished. It was heavy as heck, but I did get the sidewalk cleared. I was hoping to do Mike’s as well, but I simply ran out of steam. I didn’t do any more of ours either. It is still 34 deg at the airport and 33.2 in the bus stop. The weather folks said a secondary low formed and that is keeping it from warming up.
 Please Love one another, Mom and Bob  [ Queen and Bobby]

Below are some more sites of the Mars lander and some really amazing pictures.

Mark Twain
(1835-1910) born on 30-Nov
Get your facts first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you please.
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value.

Document made with Nvu